- Safety & Health
- Safety Datasheets
- Corporate Responsibility
- Code of Ethics
- Environment and Energy
- Cylinder Safety
- Cryogenic Liquid Safety
- Safety Services
- Gas Risks
Design and construction of gas cylinders
AGA gas cylinders are designed and manufactured in accordance with standards and specifications. These standards define the material of which the cylinder is made, the method of manufacturing, its test pressure, the maximum permissible filling pressure and the method of regular testing.
If you own your cylinders you must be aware of, and conform to, your statutory obligations with regard to maintenance and periodic testing. If you rent your cylinders from AGA then AGA as the owner of the cylinders ensures that the regulations are met.
Cylinder valves and security caps
All AGA cylinders containing gas at high pressure are fitted with a cylinder valve which must not be removed or tampered with at any time except to tighten the gland nut when necessary. Some cylinders have a security cap over the cylinder valve indicating that they have been filled and checked. Each valve outlet is specially threaded to receive standard pressure regulators obtainable from AGA sales points.
The cylinder valves on all gas cylinders, whether they contain flammable or non-flammable gas, are opened by turning the spindle anti-clockwise and closed by turning the spindle clockwise.
- NEVER open an acetylene cylinder valve completely. Half turn is sufficient.
- NEVER leave the opened spindle of any cylinder valve against the backstop
- NEVER tamper with cylinders in any way. When in doubt ask your gas supplier.
- NEVER attempt to repair a cylinder
- NEVER disguise damage to cylinders
- NEVER mix gases in a cylinder
- NEVER transfer gas to another cylinder
- NEVER scrap a cylinder you do not own
- NEVER use adaptors to connect regulators or hoses which is not approved for that gas
Pressure relief devices
Pressure relief devices are fitted to certain cylinders. Where fitted they are either relief valves (which re-seal when pressure falls to normal) or bursting discs (which discharge content completely). This disc is fitted on the cylinder valve.